Frodo - C64 Emulator for Sharp Zaurus
Frodo is a C64 emulator devolped by Christian Bauer. Frodo is ported to many computer systems. Amongst other systems this are Linux, Amiga OS, Risc OS, BeOS und EPOC. The actual version of Frodo can use the SDL library (Simple DirectMedia Layer) for graphic output. The SDL is also available for the Sharp Zaurus.
For the Sharp Zaurus I have done some small changes, because the screen resoultion and the keyboard are a little different to a normal PC. The source code with this changes is available under the download section. On the PC, Frodo also uses a TCL/TK program to change the emulators parameters. This TCL/TK programm is not very useful on the Zaurus, therfore I programmed a Qtopia version (FrodoGUI) of it.
The ipk package in the download section is tested on a Zaurus SL5500G. At the moment a Zaurus model with a keyboard is needed to use the emulator.
The emulator needs also C64 ROM files. For copyright reasons this files are not included in the ipk package. This files can, for example, copied from a original C64. After Frodo is installed on the Zaurus, this files must be copied to "/opt/QtPalmtop/bin/frodo". The following files are needed:
- Kernal ROM
- Basic ROM
- Char ROM
- 1541 ROM
The filenames must be exactly written as above (spaces, case sensitive). More informations about the ROM files can be found on the Frodo homepage.
Frodo needs also a actual version of the SDL library installed on the Zaurus. You can find a SDL package under Download. Frodo should also work with other actual packages of the SDL library.
Operating instructions for the Frodo Zaurus version
- The cursor keys on the Zaurus can be used to emulate a joystick. The emulation can be activated with the tabulator key and 'J'. The mode of the emulation is shown in the lower right corner. If a Joysticks in port one is emulated a 1 is shown, for port two a 2 is shown. If no emulation is active nothing is shown.
- The C64 function keys can be reached by the following key combinations on the Zaurus:
- F1 - Tabulator and 'Q'
- F2 - Tabulator and 'W'
- F3 - Tabulator and 'E'
- F4 - Tabulator and 'R'
- F5 - Tabulator and 'T'
- F6 - Tabulator and 'Z'
- The Run/Stop key is mapped to Tabulator and 'O'.
- The Restore key is mapped to Tabulator and 'P'.
- To quit the emulator, press the menu key.
- It seems, that the actual (March 2003) Qtopia Version of the SDL not allow switching between a normal Qtopia program and a SDL program. It seems, that the SDL program runs always on top of the Zaurus screen. Therefore it can't be switched to FrodoGUI while Frodo is running. For this reason changing a virtual C64 disk is not possible while Frodo is running.
- With the actual (March 2003) Qtopia version of the SDL, Frodo freezes if the home key or one of the programm start keys is pressed. Only a reboot of the Zaurus helps if Frodo freezes. Some other SDL applications on the Zaurus have this problem at the moment also.
0.1 to 0.2:
- C64 function keys, Run/Stop and Restore now mapped to the Zaurus keyboard.
- Switching of Joystick emulation changed. Emulated Joystick now shown on screen.
Screenshots / Photos
Screenshot of Frodo running on the Zaurus SL5500.